RE: [dvd-discuss] various reactions to supreme court travesty

Ginsberg conveniently ignored the issues and cited the expression/idea platitude. As you point out what of TWDG? The Church of Scientology? Herbert Armstrong? Or the hiers who use copyright to prevent unauthorized (and true) biographies of their cash cow ancestors.

We like to believe that all judges are wise and learned in the law but the fact is that  most are political appointees or get them through elections....i'm not even certain if you have to be a lawyer to be a judge in all places..so WRT to TWDG, the original judge was probably some political hack without a clue about the law...

Of course the whole notion of having "derivative rights" after the creator's death seems a little flakey too...other than Babar and possibly Uncle Walt, I don't know of too many creations that have outlived their creator..or rather someone has managed to continue the work nearly as well (e.g., Mel Blanc's son does a good job but he's not his father)...we've discussed the fact that there is no reason for a uniform term for copyright material (e.g., computer codes, chip masks), maybe there also needs to be limited terms for the rights of copyright as well. If one is going to have these arrogant and foolish terms then the right to prevent copy can be inherited by the heirs but not the right to prevent all derivative works

"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>

01/28/2003 08:49 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss