Re: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights

On 22 Jan 2003 at 14:34, johnzu@ia.nsc.com wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:34:53 -0800 (PST)
From:           	johnzu@ia.nsc.com
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] clean flicks and moral rights

> > Those on the list observing the CleanFlicks phenomena-- wherein some
> > companies will cheerfully bowdlerize motion pictures-- will probably be
> > interested in this slate article.
> >
> > http://slate.msn.com/id/2077192/
>
> Thanks for the useful links.  As I read the "moral right" argument I kept
> thinking of my wife's tendency to read the last chapter of a book about
> halfway through.  By the logic of the lawsuit, she is violating the moral
> rights of the author as she is viewing the work in a way other than the
> original vision of the author. If a TPM prevented reading chapters out
> of order on an eBook that would be a 1201 TPM.  Stupider and stupider.

Or to allow you to jump back and reread a section after reading it? Or what
about a TPM that requires you to read the whole DMCA before
watching/reading/playing the work.

> Here's a link for those scratching their heads at bowdlerize
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2001/12/12.html
>
> > Jeremy (who still defends Altman's right to include eight BLEEPs in
> > Gosford Park) Erwin
>
> Our internal mail server didn't deliver your mail due to the word
> I replaced with BLEEP.  I defend Altman's right to do so, though
> I see no reason to require everyone interested in the film to
> listen to his choice of language.  The right he has is a right of
> tolerance, and a right of freedom.  He doesn't have the moral right
> to impose his views on the rest of us anymore than we have the
> right to impose ours on him.

Agreed. The "F" word was quite appropriate watching "Apocalypse Now" in the
Theatre and hearing "Fudge" on TV just made me laugh outloud. The problem with
all this is that this whole notion of moral rights seems ludicrous when you
look at a film that has R rated versions edited for the Theater vs Cable, PG
versions for TV and Airline. Followed by the VHS release and the DVD..Then
there is the Directors cut. The 20 year anniversary Director's cut with
political correctness. A discussion on Moral rights from those people makes me
want to check my wallet because I know they plan on perpetual copyright using
the publics. NOTE these are all COMMERCIAL releases of derivative works. The
notion that copyright controls ALL derivative works is the problem. It only
should  control COMMERCIAL derivative works and by commercial I would contend
that applies ONLY to lost revenues that are demonstratable (e.g., 1000 copies
of bootleg ). In the case of the clean Flicks, I can't see that they have lost
ANY commercial revenue even with the copies of the tape. IN the case of the DVD
re-edits- that's incredibly laughable in view of the dozens of different
versions they already release. Indeed, I would contend  that if I purchase a
VHS tape that is NOT identical to the version shown in the theatres and has not
been labeled as such then a fraud has been committed upon me (e.g., The
Graduate as seen on TV was not the same edit as the one in the Theatre. The
famous shot of Benjamin through Mr. Robinson's leg is missing)

. I realize that is a more common law interpretation but it is also the one the
public understands without requiring a indepth course in "intellectual
property" In what way is the clean flicks reduce the commercial revenues? NADA
so there are no commercial damages. How do they commit a fraud upon the public?
They don't. How do they violate the sanctity of "moral rights" that have
already been violated (Steve Spielberg can whine all he wants but look what he
did to ET)?

I don't see it.