Re: [dvd-discuss] Postage Meters and the "Right to Tinker"

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 13:04, Sham Gardner wrote:

> How about another example. If you were sent an unsolicited dead-tree copy of
> a book that had a padlock on it. Would you say it should be illegal for you
> to remove that lock using whatever means you see fit, when the copyright
> holder is offering to send you the key for a fee?

I just had a disturbing and sickening thought. That example may actually
qualify as a protection mechanism under the DCMA.

I just reread section 1201. I didn't see anything which would disqualify
it. Nothing in the section says anything about the technology having to
be digital.

--
Stephen L Johnson <sjohnson@monsters.org>