Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: TurboTax for free?

On 01/08/03 at 18:57, 'twas brillig and Sham Gardner scrobe:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:47:58PM -0500, Ole Craig wrote:
> > 	Somehow, I suspect that Jon did not construct his DVD hardware
> > out of spare parts, but rather bought a mass-manufactured DVD drive
> > from one of the DVDCCA cartel participants. I am sure that drive came
> > with a key. So Jon was doubtless in possession of a key, nu?
>
> DVD ROM drives don't contain player keys, Sanctioned DVD video players
> (including software players) do.

	Yes, and I am certain that Jon received just such a package
along with his DVD drive, much as I did when I bought mine.

	If purchase and possession of a player key is the thing which
confers authorization to view the content, then Jon and I are both in
the clear when we run our homebrew DVD players, despite the fact that
our players do not use the key in its original wrappings [software].

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key