Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: TurboTax for free?

On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 12:12  PM, Richard Hartman wrote:
>> So, I go down to the electronics store and secure myself a player. As
>> it fits my legal strategy, I make sure this acquisition is obtained
>> with cash, rather than sleight of hand. A few hours later, in the wee
>> hours of the morning, I secure myself a large DVD collection--and all
>> with the approval of the CCA's legal department.
>
> ... but you've relegated poor Jon to prison for
> circumventing the DVD protection when he views
> his DVDs on his home-brewed Linux player.  Isn't
> that what we've been fighting against?

Perhaps I should be clearer-- when I make my late night, after hours
visit to Tower, the doors are locked. No problem..., I just whip out my
(non-digital) crowbar, and..

(After all, the right to view depends on purchase of the player, not on
purchase of the discs..)

The sattelite TV and TurboTax examples have amore coherent relationship
between key and purchase.

Jeremy