Re: [dvd-discuss] Jon Johansen acquitted!!

On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 04:01  PM, Mikael Pawlo wrote:

> The law is about to be changed. Norway will follow the European Union
> and
> the European Copyright Directive and will as a member of EEC implement
> version of the WIPO Copyright Treaty, that also served as inspiration
> for
> the U.S. Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Draft Norweigan legislation
> is
> expected in February 2003. This will make the Jon-DVD case void as a
> precedent, since the legislation most likeley will adopt the
> protection for
> anti-circumvention devices in the WIPO Copyright Treaty.

I've heard, on slashdot (take that for what you will), that the charges
were generalized "cracking" charges-- akin to "computer intrusion", and
that it was shown by the defense, that Johansen was not actually
responsible for the decryption code, but rather worked on the GUI code
associated with DeCSS-- someone with access to the trial transcripts
might be able to confirm this.

BTW, Johansen is working on the macosx port of vlc (www.videolan.org).

Jeremy