Re: [dvd-discuss] Specific ironies of the CTEA

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 14:26, Michael A Rolenz wrote:

begin  quote:
> "28 or 56-That's the fix"
>
> I think before the terms are set there needs to be a "theory of copyright"
> set forth-"The Declaration of Copyright" but since the purpose is to
> promote progress, the terms must be such that they do promote progress. As
> .002 has pointed out before, there has to be something useable at the end
> of the term or else it's been a bad bargain (and the arguments that the
> government gets taxes from it is specious. Copyright is not the commerce
> clause). Particularly if copyright is going to extend beyond literary
> works to computer programs. A uniform term does not fit all things. IN
> terms of the length of usefulness at the items that have value for the
> longest terms are (each line being of lesser duration)
end  quote

[As previously suggested]

It's possible for economists to model the lifetime earnings
potential profile (% total earnings as a funtion of time)
for each class of works in aggregate.  *Some* percentage of
that total should pass to the public at the end of copyright;
we could propose 10% as the classic minor share.

At that point it's just a matter of determining the classes
and doing math.

--
| It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance  |
|  It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance  |