Re: [dvd-discuss] Specific ironies of the CTEA

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:02, John Zulauf wrote:
> I just stumbled over a specific irony of the CTEA.  The 1951 Disney
> adaptation of Alice in Wonderland (it's beloved, but IMHO a hatchet job,
> no flames please... it's just my opinion) would have not be possible
> without Charles Dodgson's estates approval.  Given the general
> unfaithfulness of the screen adaptation vs. the book this permission
> might have been difficult.
>
> Are there any other specific ironies like that?  Anybody done a survey?

As long as you're Disneying, consider The Jungle Book:
Kipling wrote it in 1894, but lived to 1936.  Therefore
under CTEA, Disney *still* couldn't make the movie for
another four years.  As it was, they made it in 1967,
a mere 31 years after the death of the author (but
73 years after it was written.)

--
| It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance  |
|  It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance  |