RE: [dvd-discuss] Matt Pavlovich WINS in Cal. Supreme Court

On 25 Nov 2002 at 15:13, Richard Hartman wrote:

Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Matt Pavlovich WINS in Cal. Supreme Court
Date sent:      	Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:13:33 -0800
From:           	"Richard Hartman" <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Copies to:      	<owner-dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>

> If he assumed the code was illegal, then I would hold
> him liable because he intentionally aided an act that
> he, himself, thought was not legal.

But it is up to the courts to decide these question based upon FACTS not
thoughts, not suppositions, not vague inferences.

> If he assumed that the code was legal (due to it's reverse
> engineered origin) then I would not hold him liable.

Since one cannot know what he thought at the time and by the 5th amendment he
cannot be compelled to divulge that even if he remembers correctly or
incorrectly, then this is a Reasonable doubt beyond a moral certainty. He had
no reason to believe otherwise.....DVDCCA had it all locked up remember. DVDs
are all over the place. Everyone is interested in them There's Jim Taylor's
book out...all sorts of infor available...so why not RE? As for this cracking
rhetorical crap....after the facts hystrionics that seemingly impresses Ca.
Sup. Court Justices.(remember Rose Bird! what goes around comes around)

> Unfortunately it sounds like he has already stated that
> he thought the code was "probably illegal"...

Agreed...if he cannot determine that is IS or ISN"T simply then the law has
failed. Previously ignorance of the law was no defense...if the laws continue
to become so obscure the maybe the "so what does that mean Judge...Oh..you
expect me to tell YOU?" defense should be created..