Re: [dvd-discuss] Hacking requires search warrant -- ruling

I can't help feeling that this is like the death-throes of a
soon-to-be-defunct organization.   The RIAA is so out of touch with what
both the artists and the consuming public want that it will not surprise
me if they are completely defunct within 10 years.  By criminalizing the
sharing of music, they not only are suppressing the sales of recordings
but they are angering their constituants.  Some people are not ever
going to forgive the RIAA for their heavy handed tactics. Regrettably
the emphasis on the law and lawyers tends to be detrimental to the
creative process, in my opinion.

Maybe some smart lawyer will initiate a class-action suit against the
RIAA for the damage they have done to the artists and composers.  I have
read a lot of arguments on the basis of fair use, but what about the way
the rights of composers to market their work have been trampled upon?
The DMCA has set the whole industry back at least 10 years by
interfering with the most natural human impulses on the part of music
lovers.  By criminalizing the simple act of sharing, they have proven
themselves to be betrayers of the very trust they have sworn to uphold.
I realize that my opinions may sound radical to some, but as a musician
and composer I am furious about what the RIAA has done to the music
business.