[dvd-discuss] Is "six degrees of seperation" a threat to the copyrightindustry

I've often claimed that the damage to the value of a work is directly
proportional to the ability of the copyright holder to find the
infringing copies.  The Microsoft article presented at 2002 ACM Workshop
on Digital Rights Management
http://crypto.stanford.edu/DRM2002/darknet5.doc makes a contrasting
point (among many interesting points the paper is recommended.) Their
claim is that collectively the overlapping network of private P2P shares
between small groups of individuals is a significant a risk as a public
share as there are only six degrees of separation between any two
people.

Anyone want to take a swing at that assertion.  I have a few thoughts,
but I don't want to color anyone's comments.

.002