Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

On 31 Oct 2002 at 11:16, John Zulauf wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:16:32 -0700
From:           	"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

> Group reply (to Joshua, Michael and David):
>
> First, lets agree on what the TPM appears to be.  My reading of it is
> that it is a signature for a given work (perhaps a given pressing of a
> work), so the purpose is to make searching for a given work simpler and
> more accurate.  Name mangling won't hide a work, but at the same time a
> book report entitled "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone" won't
> generate a false positive and would tend to reduce the number of
> embarrassing and harassing C&D's to twelve year old children and other
> innocents.  Actually I see some potential positives [note 1] from "work
> fingerprinting" if generally applied.

OK then it's the equivalent of a secure hash function designed for searching.
It can't just be the first 1023 Bytes of the file that says "THIS IS THE
PROPERTY OF BLAH BLAH AND YOU HAVE STOLEN IT FROM BLAH BLAH. HEREBY COMES YOUR
DOOM..."etc That's too easy to strip out. So it's gotta be embedded somehow
into the work. Something that allows them to identify it as THEIR copyrighted
work. <exercise for the alert reader. That means that they must automate their
search and begin doing massive downloads of stuff to check for watermarks. SO
what we now have is a bunch of programs downloading stuff automatically and
checking for copyright infringment...Hey this may be the biggest reason for
MASSIVE broadband yet but  I don't think the ISPs should pay for the extra
bandwidth. If RIAA and MPAA want to fund this fine. Let them. I wouldn't mind
an upgrade to DSL courtesy of JackBoots...now if he starts searching my machine
they'll be electrons spilled..>

> Joshua Stratton wrote:
> >
> > I remain wary of this. The systems used for tracking themselves seem to
> > pose concerns of privacy to consumers and retailers, and could likely
> > impose burdens -- even if merely the cost of having to hire a clerk smart
> > enough to operate the new equipment, or the additional time it would take to
> > perform the identification at POS -- on retailers.
>
> Given my reading of the TPM, this isn't an issue.  Privacy and anonymity
> are preserved.  The fingerprint works as "embedded meta-data" or better
> a "key" to a for some meta-data dictionary (can you tell I've been doing
> Python lately?).

Yes without some personal identifier this is not an issue. The signature tells
you that "THIS IS IT". If privacy and anonymity are preserved the how does this
allow tracking - only identification.

> Michael A Rolenz wrote:
> > I think that the RIAA, MPAA objective is beyond that.
>
> Clearly this is true in general.  However the EMI fingerprinting scheme
> (again assuming it isn't used for access control, etc.) seems limited to
> the smaller fair objective.  Just because the industry is acting in
> foolish arrogance, it doesn't mean this particular example goes beyond a
> the "reasonable man" test for what a personal wishing to assert their
> limited rights would reasonably do, without infringing on the users
> rights.
>
> We shouldn't knee-jerk reject this as "too intrusive" -- this may be
> "just right."

I agree. They can put anything they want on their files. What is a problem is that removing it becomes apriori evidence of piracy. Presumption can be merely  legal prejudice. Of course I don't know why anyone would bother to remove them...the issue is infringement. In stead of the Salem Witch
Trials we get the Intellectual Property trials. Guilty now prove your innocence.

> Michael A Rolenz wrote:
> > ANother point is that the copy that is being stripped, ripped and dipped
> > is PERSONAL property. One can do ANYTHING one wants with personal property
> > whether they want to strip, rip,or dip it for fun in the privacy of ones home
> > or even in public for any reason on can think of - curiousity, a challenge or
> > even to infringe.
>
> Clearly Michael's comments are a more complete and accurate here than my
> more terse original.
>
> However, if the fingerprint is perfectly transparent from the end user
> point of view why would the average person strip it other than to
> infringe (especially if the "positives" of Note 1 are extant).  If you
> want to practice picking your own locks at home, go ahead.  If you're
> found at a stranger home with the picks in your pocket a midnight, the
> scratched up locks at home will be awfully damaging to your "I guess I
> just got lost" defense.

The average person? The law is not concerned with the average person. It is not
up to anyone to demonstrate that their deviation from the mythical average
person is illegal but that they have done an illegal act. The real issue with
the DCMA is not that you found someone in your home with lockpicks at midnight
but that they had lockpicks elsewhere. If you find someone in you home you
don't need the lockpicks for a conviction.It merely adds additional evidence
supporting the charge - breaking and entering. DItto for removal of the
signature. It makes it a deliberate act but it is the act that is illegal not
the evidence that points to it being deliberate.

> > So there is no reasonable cause for search
> > or seizure to begin with and the "presumption of innocence" still applies. The
> > presumption that one is doing so to infringe is as invalid as the presumption
> > the RIAA, MPAA has that everybody who has a CDburner is a CD pirate.
>
> Clearly.  Those who own AR-15's are not all serial snipers either.
> However, .223's in the stump (and fingerprint removers) are still
> circumstantial evidence, and may be a piece of a "probable cause" for a
> warrant.

The old little thing called "probable cause" and "due process"..circumstantial evidence
AFTER a crime has been committed but not before.

> > Should one be caught doing massive infringement, then the fact that one
> > has systematically removed finger prints to prevent tracking may be used
> > to preclude a defense of "I didn't know what I was doing is wrong."
>
> Exactly so.  This is what I meant about reasonable cause for a S&S.  If
> the EMI finds a cache of their works online (with fingerprint), they can
> easily C&D to stop it (with fewer false C&D's and "chilling effects")
> issues.  They can point Verizon to the public port of the P2P and say
> scan the contents and "plug that please".  If they find a cache of
> content online without fingerprints, they are liable to start sniffing
> around for a DrinkOrDie type organized warez tribe, and the stripping
> itself would probably be "probable cause" for a warrant and seizure.

It certainly warrants further investigation. Is this a private P2P or are
they offering works to the public? And to what extent are they doing so. Maybe the P2Ps
should adopt the old Borland License "use it like a book. You can't read two books at the same time
in different places"

Actually I have no problem with this (aside from the problem that all the
scanning the MPAA, RIAA are likely to do will reduce the capacity of the
internet causing it to be over sized for what it does. If that oversize is 10%,
then maybe OK but a 1000% is too much of a burden. THe people who are so
concerned about their intellectual property are a $10B a year industry
dictating to a $100B industry..maybe the $100B industry should just say to the
$10B industry...Here's $1B, how many copyright works do I get for that...No...I
don't want "Ma and Pa Kettle" I want Casablanca"