Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

And if the P2P networks can find it then so can the Copyright holders. So
what's to stop the copyright holders from automating the process? Nothing.
At that point it becomes an old fashioned detection problem. What is the
probability of detection vs that of false alarm? The detection threshold
determines both. The Copyright holders want to have Pd =  0.99999...[large
number of 9s] so few evil doers escape capture and punishment.  Society
wants Pfa = 0.0[large number of 0s]01 so that it doesn't have to deal with
zillions of C&D letters and lawsuits ("your honor....these are Not scenes
from Star Wars. This animated cartoon was done by my client's son using
his Star Wars Action Figures...".."oh..yes I can see that...you can see
the hip joint in the stormtrooper...."

BTW - Consider THAT as a derivative copyright....They have the rights to
derivative works - toys being one. As the toys get more realistic, who's
to say that kids don't make their own action cartoons with them AND put
them on the internet. Now is that fair use of something derived from
copyright?

"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
10/31/2002 02:20 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss