Re: [dvd-discuss] "limited times" selectively the gov't"gets it"

microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> Yes this is true...dealing with FOUNDATIONS is more difficult than structures
> raised above them. Copyright deals with the foundations of intellectual
> activity...

Another point is that I would be willing to wager a large cool beverage
of preference that more of the Sen's and Rep's are copyright holders
(the published kind) than patent holders.  One wonders (although not too
strongly) why it wasn't considered an ethics violation for Mary Bono to
advocate for an increase in copyright terms, when it had a great
likelihood of personally enriching her.  On the bench that would call
for a recusal, but not apparently in the US Congress.  For the Congress,
were the copyright holders to recuse themselves, a quorum might be
difficult to achieve.

This comes back to my thought that the current copyright system is
flawed exactly to the extent that it is not sufficiently circumscribed
in the constitution. (whatever you think of my specific initial draft).

.002