Re: [dvd-discuss] "limited times" selectively the gov't"gets it"

The AARP angle is an interesting one.  Certainly the content of the
AARP's youth is being held hostage.  The AARP demographic is the least
likely to be online, and the publication of 40's and 50's music has been
relegated to the "Time-Life Series" 19.99/disc.  BTW the quality of the
releases is often terrible, as their is no benefit to restoring them,
and no competitive product against which quality can be judged.

Freeing that content would:

(a) reduce the cost to the customers
(b) increase the total number of works from their youth available

(and from my POV as a technologist)
(c) draw a new demographic online
(d) create a new group interested in internet radios, broadband, network
"appliances"

"Our youth is being held hostage!" "Why should Disney own my youth!" ---
that's a rallying cry.  I can see the sad TV ad campaign featuring a
grandmother and grandchild sitting still, sad, and silent-- "locked in
the silence of copyright run amok" or with adults wincing at
Eminem/Britney-esque MTV and the contrast of "being able to share freely
the works that moved you in your youth" of a cross-generational party
atmosphere.  With "sharing the values of a quieter generation" gunk to
swelling strains of emotional, but copyrighted music.

Further if restoration works were granted a new (but still short)
copyright, then there would be an incentive to commercial interests for
restored and remastered works, with real competition from the free (and
freely restored ) copies to force up the quality and down the price.