Re: International implications of the DMCA (was Re: [dvd-discuss] Inexplicable)

On 19 Oct 2002 at 15:41, Glendon M. Gross wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:41:15 -0700
From:           	"Glendon M. Gross" <gross@xinetd.ath.cx>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	International implications of the DMCA  (was Re: [dvd-discuss] Inexplicable)

> While it is true that the DMCA does not apply in China or Germany, or in
> Russia for that matter, the DMCA reflects some of the differences
> between the way some in the United States view intellectual property and
> the way it is  viewed in other nations.  The international implications
> of the DMCA clearly can be seen in the Skylarov case, because Russia
> should not be governed by the DMCA either... yet thanks to a paranoid
> response by Adobe Software due to the disclosure of a poor
> copy-protection scheme,

The real tantilizing question is what to do when the DON"T have a poor copy-
protection scheme? This is the real question. The LOC doesn't have clue.
Congress doesn't have a clue, and the MPAA< RIAA are consumed by their own
greed....what to do when REAL copy protection is available...