Re: [dvd-discuss] Sklyarov denied Visa to return to US for trial.

On 16 Oct 2002 at 19:00, noah silva wrote:

Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Sklyarov denied Visa to return to US for trial.
From:           	noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Date sent:      	16 Oct 2002 19:00:27 -0400

> On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 13:23, Tom wrote:
> > The CIA definitely has more experience training and supporting
> > terrorists or conduction operations themselves than they do with
> > writing poems or songs, so - uh, or did you mean what is more important
> > to _prevent_ ?
> >

> > On a more serious note: Doing away with the idiotic concept of
> > "intellectual property" is almost certainly more important. Terrorism
> > kills a few thousand people in a good year, the patents on HIV drugs
> > alone kill several times that.
> >

> Sorry, but not treating someone is not the same as killing someone.
> Just as me keeping a secret from you is not the same as lying to you.  I
> don't think the concept of intellectual property is "idiotic", just the
> current laws in place that deal with it.

And the morality of hiding behind those laws to further ones own economic
interests. If corporations are to be granted quasi-legal citizen status under
the 14th amendment to the Constitution, then maybe it is time to also grant
them some of the responsibilities of citizenship. If I find someone bleeding to
death, then I have a legal responsibility to do what I can to prevent their
death. In most states, the good samaritan law will absolve me from liability if
my knowledge is insufficient. But this is not the case even figuratively with
corporations. The bottom line is profit. Fine but then regulation is needed to
curb the base instinct. None provided...the base instinct multiplies....