Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright Office to Consider Anticircumvention Exemptions

On 12 Oct 2002 at 0:19, Seth Finkelstein wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:19:23 -0400
From:           	Seth Finkelstein <sethf@sethf.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright Office to Consider Anticircumvention Exemptions

> >> D. C. Sessions wrote:
> >> What possible difference could it make?  As long as the
> >> "trafficking" clause is read as broadly as it has been in the
> >> /2600/ Court, all forms of "circumvention" are effectively
> >> proscribed, even for material not under copyright.
>
> > microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:
> > D.C. is right- How can one have a legal right to access something if
> > the means of doing so has been declared illegal.
>
>  No. This is quite incorrect. It makes a difference. Much of my
> recent anti-censorware work *would* *not* *have* *been* *done* if the
> Library of Congress DMCA exemption had not been granted.

That you have a legal right to do anticensorware work and have been granted the
exemption to do so is good (and I am glad you are doing it. I mean that.) but
there are other rights that one has, such as the right to use ones personal
property as one sees fit (e.g., play my DVD in my linux machine.) if the means
of doing so is illegal (e.g., DeCSS).

D.C. is speaking of the logic of the situation.

>  The provision at issue is "doing", which does not necessarily
> extend to "let others do" (trafficking). So it is by no means a total
> solution or a panacea.

Trafficking in this case means speaking/writing/communicating or forming
communities. (Consider this. Those accused of trafficking in DeCSS are merely a
community of people communicating a common interest....but according to Judge
Kaplan and the NY Appeals court the sanctity of "intelletual property" must be
preserved.)

>  But even if it is 1/10th of 1% of what is needed - if that
> 1/10th of 1% is purchased at so small a cost - trivial, WRITING A FEW
> LETTERS - not a multi-million dollar lobbying campaign, not a lawsuit
> which grinds someone's life, not anyone going to jail, not blood and
> sweat and tears - BUT JUST WRITING A FEW LETTERS, as happens every
> single day on so many mailing-lists and weblogs -

This is tactics...and you'll get no argument that letters are what is needed
more and more...the more people see how this stinks the more likely a few
politicians will turn tail....BTW, the LOC is asking for more
comments....here's a good chance.