Re: [dvd-discuss] Celebs against shorter patent duration

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 12:33  PM, mickeym wrote:

> I wasn't aware that there was a bill to shorten the patent duration
> for drugs, but it doesn't surprise me who else (besides the drug co's)
> would be against it. I still can't reconcile the huge difference
> between patent vs copyright duration. I suppose I'm actually okay with
> the 17 year patent, in contrast to the 95+ year copyright.

Ugh. I just saw an ad in the WAshington Post from PhRMA-- showing a
picture of a senior citizen, captioned "She didn't live through two
surgeries a stroke, and 14 of the cruelest winters on record only to be
threatened by reimported drugs."

I guess the PhRMA is, on record, of the opinion that those doomed to
live in Canada are ingesting poisons in in pill form.

Jeremy