Re: [dvd-discuss] DVD Editing

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, James S. Tyre wrote:

> Don't overlook that theatrical releases routinely are edited from the
> theatrical release - for airlines (no plane crashes), for network TV (sex,
> 7 dirty words), etc.

If I may go off-topic a bit with some trivia:

IIRC, "Airplane!" was aired as an in-flight movie at least once. And I
don't know of Miyazaki's "Porco Rosso" was, but it was intended to be
shown on JAL flights originally, anyway -- it has some aerial combat at
least, I don't remember if there are crashes or not.

Some airports have DVD rentals now -- I'll have to remember to check the
next time to see if their rental catalog mirrors the no crash provision.

Anyway, given what the networks are getting like, we'll probably have all
kinds of stuff in a decade or so.