[dvd-discuss] DMCA Twist

(Forwarded from CYBERIA list)

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:51:06 +1000
From: Simon Minahan <sminahan@BIGPOND.COM>
To: CYBERIA-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM

CNET reports that Apple has reined in Other World Computers
- an accredited Apple dealer and developer - from offering a
patch to its new iDVD application:

"...At issue in the legal threat is Apple's well-received
iDVD application, which permits users to burn DVDs only on
internal drives manufactured by Apple. In unmodified form,
it does not permit writing to external drives manufactured
by third parties.

That means Macintosh owners with older computers or laptop
computers, or people who opted not to buy the
"Superdrive"-equipped Macs, could not use iDVD to save
movies.

In response, Other World Computing began bundling a product
called DVD Enabler with its external Mercury Pro DVD-R/RW
FireWire drive. DVD Enabler modified iDVD so the application
would save completed DVDs to a FireWire-connected drive...."

Apparently Apple threatened OWC - which immediately backed
off - with a DMCA suit for circumventing copy control.

Trouble is, it seems to me the content being copy controlled
wouldn't be Apple's - it would be the system owners
(assuming no piracy, for argument's sake).  So how would
DMCA apply? I appreciate OWC didn't feel like taking issue -
but am I right in the view it could have - or am I missing
something?

Full story at:
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-955805.html
Simon Minahan
sminahan@eddress.com.au

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that
hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Pr 12:15