RE: [dvd-discuss] Christian Science Monitor Article on Digital Copyring

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Richard Hartman wrote:
> Well, don't get _too_ down on those greedy moguls.  Greed, when it
> comes down to it, is what motivates us all.

I absolutely reject this line of reasoning.

We live in a civilization that has twisted itself over the past four
hundred years into a glorification of greed and a testament to
selfishness.  There are some sick and sad practical truths to what you
say, but the fact that we must, at times, participate in the world's
greed, exploitation, and selfishness does not make the actions any less
evil nor forgive us those transgressions.

> I enjoy programming, but I _need_ to be paid for it because I have a
> wife & son & a mortgage.  So if those "greedy" moguls don't think they
> will be able to make any $$$ they may not make any films and then
> where would you be?

Free of their spiritless, artless, wasteful and decadent propaganda?

Living in a world where those who create are not plagued by the need to
grovel at the feet of those who inflict artificial scarcity on the public
in order to share their work with the public?

Just a couple of thoughts.

> That said, they're going about it all wrong (as they always have).
> Every technical advancement has been greeted with "oh, it will destroy
> the entertainment industry" but after they figured it out they ended
> up making more money than before.  We've just got to kick 'em in the
> a$$ until they figure out that this is just the SSDD.

With digital media, Free Software, and the proliferation of reliable
bandwidth, we are looking at the opportunity of doing away with the
unfortunately commercialized industry of information gathering and
distribution.

It is not just the existing copyright industry that fears this revolution,
but Capitalists everywhere.  We have the opportunity to show that we have
evolved to a point where people are more productive and affluent when they
share and cooperate than when they are pitted against one another in
competition for survival and the favor of the wealthy.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin