Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

In article <ADBC4BC8-AB6A-11D6-A964-003065F24232@ponymail.com>, Jeremy Erwin
<URL:mailto:jerwin@ponymail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 01:31  AM, Thomas Olsson wrote:
>
> > In article <FAEDD1DF-AB01-11D6-88ED-003065F24232@ponymail.com>, Jeremy
> > Erwin
> >> [snip]
> >>
> >> I think the Feist standard should apply. In the case of your poem
> >> generator, the output is apparently random. In the case of Google, the
> >> output is the result of various algorithms based on references from
> >> other sites.
> >
> > But it is not random. For any given URL you get the same poem every
> > time,
> > as if you were retrieving a file by name.
> >
> How's the next poem link generated?

It's a function of the current poem. As you may have suspected, that does
include a pseudo-random element. The sequence is the same every time, and
it might as well be counting up (which it did at the start, but that wasn't
very entertaining).

> BTW, several URLs link to themselves via "Next Poem".

Yes, that is entirely possible, and the probability increases as the name
gets shorter. I could fix this, but I'd rather fix the copyright aspect so
I really do hold the rights to every permutation :-)

Regards,
Thomas

--
	9876543210  Magic tab-o-meter.		http://www.armware.dk/