RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

On 8 Aug 2002 at 9:14, Richard Hartman wrote:

From:           	Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	"'dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu'" <dvd-
discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges
Date sent:      	Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:14:29 -0700

I have fond memories of Joust...my best friend and I used to play it in a bar
near campus waiting for his wife to finish her evening classes in computer
science.

All that aside. Despite proposing it I do not believe that the concept of
abandoned intellectual property is one that should be put into practice. I
believe that setting reasonable time limits for the various types of
intellectual property is the only approach that makes sense. As has been
pointed out 120 yrs for Windows2000 is either arrogant or asinine or both. If
there is some time when terms need to be extended for somethings because of
dramatic changes in lifespan ("AGING has been REVERSED...you can live to be 167
 yrs but while your golf game will improve for the last 80 yrs of your life we
know for a fact that your ability to write meaningful prose will diminish and
for the last 10 yrs you won't beable to sign a check but will be able to beat
any 10 yr old around the block...") or other reasons (other than
protectionism). But surely we possess enough to create a transition plan that
is fair to the authors, publishers and public without creating a huge windfall
such as has been for the last 26 yrs....