RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

On 7 Aug 2002 at 10:29, Richard Hartman wrote:

From:           	Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	"'dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu'" <dvd-
discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges
Date sent:      	Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:29:07 -0700

> The thing is that in many of these cases it is less
> of a matter of intentionally blocking use of the
> property as it is just ignoring it.  Truely "abandoned
> property" as the msg I was responding to suggested.
> Should there not be a difference between intentional
> suppression and mere indifference?

The former should be an abuse of copyright since it attempts to suppress speech
in the form of criticism and discussion (e.g., Judge BOrk held that political
speech was the most protected of all. ). In the case of games, if one recreates
"Donkey Kong", "Space Invaders" or "Joust" [one of my favorites] is one
infringing copyright? And after how many years of abandonment? I've argued thsi
before but if one must exercise REAL property rights to retain them then
certainly some exercise less than the fat fifth generation living off
intellectual property or the infringement lawsuits from it is needed.