Re: [dvd-discuss] [Off-topic] Eldred v. Ashcroft.

Glendon M. Gross wrote:

> "The Bono Term Extension Act was the worst kind of Special Interest
> Legislation
> engineered by Disney to satisfy its insatiable corporate greed."
>
> To refute this, on Page 122 Mr. Martin claims that those who opposed this
> extension of copyright are espousing a Marxist position, and may have had
> unhappy childhoods.  Would I be wrong to compare Scott Martin's arguments to
> those of Mr. Joe McCarthy? He appears to desire more to discredit his
> opposition than to discuss the merits of the law.

He opines that Congress is the place to determine copyright terms,
not the courts. Is it Marxist to desire a congress that's free from
graft? Perhaps it would be more capitalist to consider the idea of
Congressional malpractice. If one's legislator is up for grabs to
the fat cats, one really isn't getting a government of, by, and for the
people, no?