Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

On 5 Aug 2002 at 12:56, Ernest Miller wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:56:41 -0400
From:           	Ernest Miller <ernest.miller@aya.yale.edu>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

> Well, I've always thought that source code would have to be registered
> in order for the executable to be protected.

I agree but not just registered but publicly available.
A copyright must be objectificable. One must be able to verify
that one does exist and that it will END at a certain time
 (which is one reason I do not believe that life + N years is desirable.
It is too subjective, laborious, and error prone. BTW- I am still pondering
what a system or theory of copyright actually entails..objectifiable,
verifiable, administratable,
but mostly KISS seem to apply. )

Actually, the whole notion of copyright for software, for IC masks,
etc may be missing one point. The proponents are not advocating
copyright protection but protection via copyright. What we are talking about is
protectionism. Of course this is not PC in an era where free trade, NAFTA and
several butcher's aprons are the rage.Copyright is a monopoly. That's a high
price to pay for something and it had better be worth it. As Wendy pointed out
the protectionism on Windows 95 lasts far longer than it will be around. In
deed, hasn't M$ proclaimed that it will only support its latest and greatest
software at a yearly fee to promote the higher good?

The question I have is that we have whole theories and practices related to
abandoned REAL property or abandoned Personal property (in LA Co. I believe it
is under $10 keep over that turn into LAPD or sherriff) but what of abandoned
Intellectual property? Unlike the former two, that is not localized but global
in nature. Why should abandoned intellectual property be given a century of
protection?