Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

You know something....this source code stuff is the most dangerous thing
ever invented by the Human race. Forget fire, gunpowder, the hydrogen
bomb, or ICBMs, that stuff is a clear and present danger to life and
civilization as we know it. IT HAS TO BE  REGULATED AND CENSORED  ;-)

Actually you raise an interesting point. What is the source code? Under
the law it gets copyright protection from when it is created yet never has
to be distributed or published. How can it be copyrighted if it is not
released? How can anyone even know what is being protected if they can't
see it. THe source code is more of  a trade secret in the possession of
microsoft than something that is copyrighted. Now the executable is
copyrighted since it can be objectively viewed.  SOurce code seems to be
the ultimate in "protectionism".

Ernest Miller <ernest.miller@aya.yale.edu>
08/05/2002 08:34 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss