RE: [dvd-discuss] Movie Downloads, automatically illegal?

Much of the argument of the MPAA (re. movies) and the RIAA
(re. music downloading) has been "it will destroy our sales"
without much in the way of actual figures to back it up.

Here is some information from people who have made (some)
content freely available, and the results that have come
from their expirements.  Counterintuitive though it seems
to the big business types, exposure actually helps sales.
(who'da thunk it, eh?)

http://www.baen.com/library/palaver6.htm (Eric Flint, sf author)
http://www.baen.com/library/palaver10.htm (National Academies Press)
http://www.janisian.com/article-internet_debacle.html (yes, _the_ Janis Ian)

Eric Flint's manifesto, written to introduce the
Baen Free Library when it was first opened to the public
does not contain hard figures, but is interesting
reading nonetheless.

http://www.baen.com/library/home.htm

If any of those government commitees are still requesting
comments, could someone please post the URL?  I'd like
to give 'em the URLs to these pages ...

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!