[dvd-discuss] Re: Correction: ReplayTV: Some Citizens Consumers, Some Not

Michael A Rolenz wrote:

> And as I recall, the question has been asked in court or at the DMCA
> hearings and the answer was that it wasn't an issue NOW but may become an
> issue in the future....say 20 yrs from now. I realize that the courts
> would consider a lawsuit today on the DRMs preventing works from entering
> the PD as premature. If Eldred v Aschcroft doesn't overturn CTEA, then in
> 20 yrs it really may be too late.

Except I happen to have a Region 1 DVD with copyright expired works,  and
it's got CSS applied to it.

The DVD in question is "The Complete UNCENSORED Private SNARFU" from
Bosko Video.  My understanding is that all of the cartoons contained
on this DVD are copyright expired.  US produced during WW-II and
expired due to your pre Berne Convention rules.

So is it as simple as someone in the US buying a copy of it,  then suing
'cause CSS is preventing the works from entering the PD?

DF