Re: [dvd-discuss] On "Taking the Copy Out of Copyright"

While it has the appearance of courage for disavowing the
notion of copying, it is perfectly concordant with the
concept of restricting (fair?) information use to the
private domain.  This much is clear.  Emphasizing the fact
that it recognizes that "copyright" is a misnomer, doesn't
obviate the fact that the authors propose an alternative
that gives creators the same unprecedented right that the
WIPO treaty cooks up.  If people fail to see what these
authors are really endorsing, the difference in terminology
will largely be a quibble over semantics.  People have a
general misunderstanding of exclusive rights along these
lines anyway.

There's no real way around it -- while the paper doesn't
mention "moral rights" at all, the regime being proposed is
perfectly concordant with the WIPO treaty, no matter what
opinions people may adduce regarding whether it's a "moral
right" or not.

As I said, the article's shortsightedness is perfectly
typical as far as legal analysis goes, and it's a very good
example of why it's so important to undertake a broad
community-based initiative representing the *public's*
interests in acknowledging the intrinsic nature of
information and of technologies that facilitate its full
use.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright: