RE: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 05:58, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
> At 7:50 PM -0700 5/30/02, microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> >The problem is bit rot.  Planned obsolescence of media.
> >By the time the original Star Wars enters the public
> >domain (even if we turn the clock back to 50 years)
> >there won't be any surviving videotapes of the original,
> >there won't be any surviving players for them, and there
> >won't be any TV sets capable of displaying NTSC format.
> >
> >All of the new copies will of course have additions and
> >new copyright dates.
>
> That's what the studios hope, of course, but it's no so clear it will
> happen. Disk capacity is exploding faster than Moore's law.  See
> http://www.sigmaxi.org/amsci/Issues/Comsci02/Compsci2002-05.html
>   for an interesting discussion. Terabyte PC's for the home are coming
> soon. Petabytes are down the road. DVD-R is here now.  Copying from
> disk to disk as you upgrade defeats bit rot.

Only if it's actually possible to copy the material.
This ties into why the studios are so desperate to
media-lock the content.

They're not half so worried about piracy as they are
about backups.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |