Re: [dvd-discuss] Sun vs first sale

On Thu, 2002-05-30 at 12:37, Eric Seppanen wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 02:08:05PM -0400, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> > Eric Seppanen writes:
> >  > Interesting, but offtopic:
> >  >
> >  > http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml;?cid=82431
> >  >
> >  > Sun seems to think that they can shrinkwrap-license away first sale.
> >
> > More precisely, their legal theory is that no sale has taken place, so
> > the first sale doctrine doesn't apply.  As the actual license
> > agreement, at
> <snip>
>
> > This theory is common to a *lot* of software licenses, BTW.
>
> Sure, I'm aware of that.  But few companies are so bold as to say "no
> transfers", and this is the first time I've heard of "no transfers even if
> you sell the machine it's installed on".

Microsoft requires you to pay them a license transfer fee
if you sell a computer preloaded with Windows.  I wouldn't
be surprised to see them stop "supporting" transfer of old
versions.

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |