Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

That's another area of copyright law that needs to be reviewed, revised
and reformed. Derivative works should be sequels, screenplays or plays
from novels or vice versa, radio adaptions, toys, comic books, new revised
editions. The essense of this is TRANSFORMATION. There should be some
transformation in the derivative work. Adding new footage to an old work
doesn't transform it. It's more like having a second edition of a book
where somebody adds a new page to each chapter. OTOH, if someone takes a
NEW SPecial 150th anniversay of Starwars produced in UltraExtremeDVD
format with new rediscovered footage never before seen that was buried in
the Lucus Time Capsule at the  INdustrial Light and Magic Shrine and edits
all of that out to produce "StarWars-The Original Version" it should not
be infringment NOR should it qualify for a copyright of its own.
OTherwise, we are back to the perpetual copyright problem....well...every
field has it's problems. In CS there's the halting problem. In math, there
was Fermat's last theorum. Maybe here we have the perpetual copyright
problem

Ernest Miller <ernest.miller@aya.yale.edu>
05/30/2002 09:32 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss