[dvd-discuss] Patented copyright ...

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52666,00.html

This Wired News article talks about companies' plans to
encode DNA sequences as MP3 tunes, then protect the "music"
with copyright ... gaining 95 years protection vs. the
current 17 for patent.

Now I see a flaw here ... sure, they own the copyright
on the genetic "music" ... and if I play it on the radio
I'll owe them royalties ... but if I make a drug based
on the DNA sequence that has nothing to do with the encoded
music ... or that would be my take on this scheme.

What is more interesting IMO is that the company (Maxygen)
has applied for a patent on this protection scheme itself
(i.e. encoding something as an MP3 and filing copyright on the
result).

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!