RE: [dvd-discuss]Does software really satisfy the requriments for Copyright?

The biggest problem is attempting to shoehorn a New Thing (tm)
into laws written for other things entirely.  There is much debate
on whether software is expression or device (to be protected by
copyright or patent).  Well ... it has aspects of both, and potentially
in greater or lesser degree depending upon the software in question.
Whoever said "there is nothing new under the sun" was quite wrong,
sometimes there _is_ something new, and it deserves new and unique
treatment instead of attempting deal with it as if it were something
else.

btw: on the copyright vs. patent argument, I tend to believe
that software -- in general -- is "most like" a device (albiet
one that has a non-physical state) and deserves patent protection
rather than copyright.  That said, the patent process both
a) moves too slowly and b) protects too long to be the appropriate
protection mechanism.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!