Re: [dvd-discuss] How many bits is a technical protection measure?

Chance favors the prepared mind....

Lets see if I understand his website....
he likes to design fonts (so does my Mother...she's a commercial artist).
He puts his fonts on the web for free (free....how can ANYbody be that
UnAmerican and not salivate at untold wealth they are giving away)
He made a tool that allows the fonts to have no restrictions which might
impede the use of his fonts.
I'd say that tool is merely allowing fair use

As for effective....the only way this is effective is if you get to outlaw
the TrueType specification and a hex editor....or censoring the
instructions "open file into your favorite hex editor. Go to address XX.
Change contents to "OO" and exit".

The whole notion of protecting fonts digitally is totally stupid. I
haven't tried to do it recently but in previous versions of Mathematica
(4.0) and Adobe (4.0) I couldn't paste graphs as metafiles only bitmaps.
Why? Wolfram research copyrighted the fonts. Adobe decided to protect the
interests of font designers from possible copyright infringement by not
creating intermediate PS unless the font was not copyrighted. I got fed up
with BOTH companies. Adobe's reaction was 'but we are saving their
intellectual property from someone who might take the intermediate PS and
extract the fonts from it [even though you couldn't do this from the
PDF]". Wolframs response was "yes we copyrighted to protect our
intellectual property but we expect you to be able to USE the fonts...we
can't help you...it's Adobe's problem"

Raises an interesting question....the fonts are copyrightable but the
purpose of having fonts is to communicate. If I can't use them to
communicate consistently and am subject to arbitrary conditions that
cannot be negociated and not even disclosed when purchased (e.g., the
garbage adobe produces when it substitutes mathematica fonts) THEN there
is a failure of the implied warrenty of merchantablitliy.

Scott A Crosby <crosby@qwes.math.cmu.edu>
04/23/02 07:44 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss