RE: [dvd-discuss]DMCA and the Church Of Scientology

The problem is that Google is not posting any of the Scientology
stuff ... it is merely _generating_ a _report_ of what is out there.
There is no authoring of the pages involved.

This request amounts to a request to skew the data.  I think Google
reports should always reflect what is actually found and not be subject
to post-processing.

First ... if the CoS has a case against anybody, it would be against
the sites that Google discovers, not Google themselves.

Second ... as with an ISP, Google should be indemnified since they
are providing a service and it is not a case of people creating the
pages.  A long time ago Prodigy or AOL had an issue w/ moderating
their chat boards.  The issue was similar to the current ISP issue
... once you start mucking about with restricting some things, then
you have taken responsibility for the content rathern than taking
the role of a passive conduit.  Once you have taken that responsiblity
then you are liable for anything you did _not_ restrict.  It is safer
(and more realistic) to let the individual posters be responsible for
their postings (or web sites) than that the service provider do so.

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!