Re: [dvd-discuss] The Consumer Technology Bill of Rights

Actually, there's another side of "One of the wonderful things about digital
technology is that it is turning many average consumers into content creators
.." and that is that increasingly the content providers are trying to protect
their "intellectual property" and sending out C&D letters (see chillinghouse)
and people are becoming aware of the issue more and more. No one is going to
prosecute a 10 yr old for putting Barney on their personal website but their
parents are another matter. They don't want the aggravation and/or legal fees
and will resent having to deal with both. That's an issue that people
understand. The public will put up with esoteric intellectual property cases as
long as they are confined to a small number but as more of them are filed and
they become nice copy for the newspapers...things may change...personally, I
thought the "this bud's for you" case was a bit overdone. The courts should
have thrown out Budwiser's claim of infringment and stated that the State had
an interest in promoting peace over drunkenness.

As several have pointed out digital is different - not because of distribution
or copying but that it allows people to become content creators....anybody want
to take a crack at putting that in a letter to the judiciary? The more the
better.