Re: [dvd-discuss] Slashdot article - Canadian Tariffs

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 17:50, Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> That's a neat question, and might be the first wedge at giving lesser
> copyright rights to those who use technical means to limit use beyond what
> copyright does.  Let's make them choose a range of rights in proportion to
> what they give the public -- greater compensation for the publication of
> unencumbered copies, lesser for the vending of DRM-crippled copies.

The major problem I see with any sort of taxation system like what is
being discussed in Canada is the strong likelyhood that none of those
tax revenues will end up in the pockets of artists.  Contracts with
musicians, as an example, are usually constructed in such a way that
they are given royalty rights on each sale of the album.  So such
legislation may, in effect, reduce the amount of money the average
musician gets.

---Steve