Re: [dvd-discuss] 2001 Best year ever for movies

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 03:50 pm, you wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 6, 2002, at 12:16  PM, Ronald Austin wrote:
> >> How about 10 of the top 50 in the Rental market as of Dec 23 2001:
> >>
> >>  Title			Days Out	Rental $ to Date	Box Office Revenues (domestic only)
> >>
> >> Rush Hour 2		12		27.8M		226.1M
> >> Pearl Harbour		19		10.36M		198.5M
> >> The Princess Diaries	5		9.26M		108.1M
> >> Jurassic Park 3		12		9.23M		181.2M
> >> Planet of the Apes	33		7.9M		179.6M
> >> Grinch that stole Xmas	33		6.18M		260M
> >> Tomb Raider		40		3.35M		131.1M
> >> Shrek			51		1.28M		267.7M
> >> The Mummy Returns	82		0.49M		202M
> >> Spy Kids		96		0.21M		112.7M
>
> Most of these movies are priced for sale, not rental. (Videotape sales
> tend to eat into Videotape rentals).
>
> Jeremy Erwin

Yes you are correct, most movies that make over 100M will be sell thru. But
nowdays with DVDs being released sell thru and VHS at rental price
videorentals are eroded even on smaller movies. Since the small dishes
started being sold my rental gross has dropped by 60-70%. We no longer make
much money on video rentals. Thats why we do other things here as well. Heck
selling pizza 2 days a week grosses more and costs less than movie rentals.
The only movies we make money on are the older titles. New releases rarely
pay for themselves before they quit renting. Thats why we are moving to DVDs
because they are cheaper and rent more than VHS. I figure in about 6 mos. to
a year we will be mostly DVD. We will keep what VHS we have room for and sell
off the rest. DVDs are about 25-30% of our rentals now, and we buy some
movies only on DVD. We buy a few used VHS titles 30-45 day after release but
that will soon stop. A videostore use to be fun and profitable but now it's
un-profitable and un-fun.

Ronald