Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

Take a look at article 67...looks as if they put a safety valve in the
copyright term.

    (Exploitation of works in the case where the copyright owner
    thereof is unknown)
    Article 67. (1) Where a work has been made public, or where it is
clear
    that it has been offered to or made available to the public for a
    considerable period of time, the work may be exploited under the
    authority of a compulsory license issued by the Commissioner of the
    Agency for Cultural Affairs and upon depositing on behalf of the
    copyright owner compensation the amount of which is fixed by the
    Commissioner as corresponding to an ordinary rate of royalty,
    provided that, after the due diligence, the copyright owner cannot be
    found for the reason that he is unknown or for other reasons.
    (2) Copies of the work reproduced in accordance with the provision of
    the preceding paragraph must bear an indication to the effect that the
    reproduction of these copies has been licensed in accordance with the
    provision of that paragraph and give the date when the license was
    issued.

Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
03/05/02 08:03 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss