Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:43:54AM -0800, Richard Hartman wrote:
> > What if you inserted frames with the subtitles between frames of the
> > movie?  It might be slightly flickery, but you would be able to see
> > both.  If they wanted to argue that, I think commercials
> > would be illegal
> > too, since they insert other footage between parts of the movie ;)
>
> Read that law again.  It is not merely a statement against
> distributing an altered/enhanced version of the work.  It
> specifically retains the right to make translations, so if
> your inserted frames were translations of the movie it would
> violate that law.

There are other applications for subtitles than translation, such as
commentary and parodying of dialogue. Inserting frames might work there ;)

--
http://sites.inka.de/risctaker/DeCSS/

"DVDCCA's statutory right to protect its economically valuable trade secret
is not an interest that is 'more fundamental' than the First Amendment right
to freedom of speech [...] Accordingly, we are compelled to reverse the
preliminary injunction." (California Appeals Court)