RE: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

> > From: Noah silva [mailto:nsilva@atari-source.com]
> >
> > I agree here, I just can't agree that napster itself was
> > wrong, because
> > they only provided dumb indexes of files.  That's like saying a
> > "match-up" agency is responsible when some woman kills the guy she met
> > through the agency.  All they provided her was his name and
> > number.
>
> Oddly enough, that was roughly the subject of last night's
> "Law & Order".  Is a firm that sells personal data (even if
> collected from public sources) responsible for the uses to
> which that data is put?  Do they have an obligation to at
> least perform background checks on the people requesting
> the data?

I was just thinking about that, I watched it actually.

I was telling my girlfriend (Who is addicted to the show) that if they
don't sue gun companies for selling guns, there is no way that a company
reselling already public data should be in trouble.  It is still the fault
of the stalker/murderer guy.

I don't want anyone selling my data, but if it's public in the first
place, that's where the problem lies, not with the company reselling it.

> According to the script, that answer turned out to be "yes".

Well one thing I like about the series is that it often has the "bad" or
"wrong" ending.  It is more accurate than most.  It's also the only thing
I normally watch on US TV.  (I find TV much more entertaining in Japan
somehow, plus I usually don't have my computer to play with when I am
there).

 -- noah silva