Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

yes but saynig it that way, giving free copies to your friends is also
legal.  Currently that's not legal, and people kow that (and I can't
really argue that it should be, because that is a bit unfair from the
companies point of view.  Plus, everyone is a friend of someone).

I think reselling (or giving away) my copy, modified or not, is and should
be legal, private or not.

I think selling "copies" (i.e. more than I own) of something I own only
one copy of (or none!) is and should be illegal.

I think the producers should get paid for their work, I just think I
should have control over my copy.  If I want to modify it to be in color,
black and white, whatever, it's my copy, and that shouldn't bar me from
selling then, as long as it is known that I modified it.

 -- noah silva