[dvd-discuss] Churches sue critic for linking and posting a C&D letter

This case looks like a nasty cat fight and I'm not sure linking is
the biggest issue. But one part of the case may be of interest.
Plaintiffs had previously sent defendants a cease and desist e-mail.
They claim that e-mail included a copyright notice. Defendants posted
the letter to their web site (without the copyright notice, but the
long page it's on http://www.archbishops.org/cjthree.htm includes
their own copyright notice). It their suit, plaintiffs complain that
posting their letter violated their copyright.

Since notices are not required for copyright, this raises the general
question of whether it is permitted under copyright law to post
hostile legal notices you receive, e.g. under section 512.

Arnold Reinhold