RE: [dvd-discuss] DMCA Blocks Import for Fair Use?

Customs Directive No.  2310-005A

   Date:  April 7, 2000

   Originating Office:  ORR

   Supersedes:  2310-005 Sept. 28, 1989

   Review Date:  April 2002

7.            DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT.  Customs policy has not
yet been
   established.  Once instructions have been formulated and cleared, they
will be posted
   to the OTO-1 Bulletin Board.  In the interim, Customs officers should
neither detain nor
   seize so-called "contributory infringement" devices, or devices which
are alleged to
   circumvent copyright protection measures of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act,
   unless specifically advised by the OR&R, IPR Branch.

Evidently this has changed. The question is what direction ARE they
working with?

Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
02/12/02 09:41 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss