Re: [dvd-discuss] UK ruling against Playstation mods

One aspect of this that is particularly disturbing to anyone of a
conservative nature it the notion that despite hundreds of years of
practice, the court appears to be ruling that personal property IS NOT.
The notion that one licenses property in the market place is counter to
hundreds of years of practice, common law, and even what the fictional
"rational man" believes even when falling down drunk."Intellectual
property" is used to create personal property. You get a LIMITED monopoly
the former  that but I have an UNLIMITED monopoly on my personal property.
Under the DMCA, aspects of "intellectual property" (e.g., first sale,
public domain) and personal property (e.g., I do with it was I choose
including reverse engineeering it.) are distorted.

BTW - Here's a gedanken experiment. If I buy a book, there's nothing to
stop me from writing in the margin. Now I am altering the presentation of
the authors works aren't I (and if I sell the book it winds up in the
market place ALTERED.). I can write counter arguments.  I can take
quotations and annotate them and even paste them into the book. NOW let's
take our playstations or Aibo's. The software is nothing more than
copyrighted material <defer any argument to the contrary for now> with no
special prevliges beyond any other copyright material. The fact that to
access that material I have to use a playstation or an Aibo or to alter it
requires more than a pen, sticky tape, and paper is really irrelevant.
That is merely the nature of the medium the material has been made
available.  So what's the difference here? Nothing that I can see. Now if
I publish the copyright material that might be one thing but If I say -
take your copy of it, put it into slot X, plug in cable Y, run annotation
program Z and now pull it out of the slot and you have a identical copy of
my annotations..So what's so special about a playstation or an Aibo?

"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
01/24/02 07:59 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss