Re: [dvd-discuss] UK ruling against Playstation mods

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Andy Oram wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer.One excerpt:
>
> Judge Jacob stated that Sony licensed games for the territory that they were
> issued, the licensing of these games did not allow for their use in other
> territories, therefore whether they were imported for private and domestic
> use by personal purchase for instance via the internet, or purchased abroad
> on holiday, they were not allowed by Sony to be played outside of the
> licensed territory, this argument should be upheld.

Bah.  If only he could have followed the recent U.S. case example: if it looks
like a sale, and acts like a sale, it's a sale.  People buying games from
abroad dont't "license" them.  They purchase them.  What they do after that is
their business, as long as they aren't distributing copies.

I was wondering this morning if we'd be better of if "copyright" were instead
named "copy distribution right".  I should be allowed to make as many copies
as I like of anything that I own, as long as I don't distribute them.

-Kurt