Re: [dvd-discuss] [openlaw] Governmenttakesmoreextremeli

WHich raises the question "if the patents on the CD are expiring,
will everything needed to produce a CD or a CD player be in the
public domain? What of the patents on the DVD? SInce nobody
needs DeCSS to rip something off a DVD, could part of the issue
be that the DVDCCA wants to keep the DVD format in perpetuity?
Control of the content and the media as they had control of the
theatre and studios in the 40s and all the way back to the Universal
Film case of 1917.

If the Sonny Bono CTEA is declared null at least WRT to
retroactive copyright, then beginning very soon the issue of access
to the public domain becomes a VERY real one and not
hypothetical as the government and the courts believe. One cannot
have a public domain unless one has access to it exclusive of the
media the works are on.